Monday, August 9, 2010

Birthday Lunch at Lolo Dad's


It was my birthday last month and my dad treated us to lunch at Lolo Dad's! It was quite pricey, but I had been wanting to try Lolo Dad's since I heard about it years ago as the restaurant with the best food in Manila. I showed him the Degustacion Menu before we left and he said okay.

We were the only guests there that fine Saturday noon. Knowing the restaurant's reputation, I would have expected more people. We actually started to wonder if the restaurant actually made any money.

Corkage was free so I brought a bottle of a fruity Chardonnay from Tita Nia's, which the waiter promptly chilled for us. Service was acceptable. The waiter did not hover, but there were times we had to refill our wine ourselves. The waiter was knowledgeable about the food and the history of the restaurant, and was able to chat with us about our food.

Blue Crab, Cucumber and Moluga Caviar Salad

I loved the Blue Crab. The taste was just so clean and refreshing, yet sweet and creamy. The caviar is perfect with it. I would go back for the Blue Crab.

Espresso of Roasted Sweet Peppers and Grilled Chorizo Crouton


The soup was creamy, warm and tasted of sweet peppers. It was good too. The chorizos were salty and flavorful.

Seared Fois Gras with Vacuum Cooked Fresh Peach and Duck Leg Turnover


The fois gras was crisp outside, creamy inside. I'm not sure if they really meant it to be this way. I kind of thought that it was a bit overcooked. Although not burnt, it had already started to have a slightly bitter, burnt flavor. I was expecting a very creamy seared fois gras. I was expecting the fois gras here to melt in my mouth. After all the hype about fois gras, I wanted my family to be wowed by their first fois gras experience. They were not. I guess the best fois gras I've ever had was still at Prince Albert.

Calamansi Sherbet


The calamansi sherbet was tart and a good palate cleanser. It was served on a teapot with dry ice steaming from inside the pot.

Roast Saddle of Lamb and Sheep's Heart Ragout



It was good lamb. I wouldn't say I'd go back for it, though. It was very tender and tasted good enough. There was just nothing that would shoot it to spectacular. I also had a hard time eating the heart. I managed to eat it all, but let's just say I won't be eating hearts voluntarily again.

Center Cut Grilled Rib Eye Steak and Beef Short Ribs



I should have ordered this instead of the lamb. From the mouthful I had of it, the steak was tender and flavorful.

Steamed Fillet of Seabass with Sauteed Angulas



Now this, is probably the best seabass I've ever had. The fish was creamy, tender but still had a bite. Not chewy, no, kind of like a live steamed lapu-lapu. The flavor was very delicate, but it tasted sublime! Fortunately, none of us knew what angulas were, so we ate them. I thought they were some kind of noodle seaweed, maybe some Japanese ingredient I didn't know about. Now, looking at the pictures and recognizing them for what they are, and now knowing that they are baby eels, I think I would have balked more at eating them.

Baked Brie Cheese with Sun Dried Tomato in Phyllo
Roma Tomato Marmalade and Warm Spinach


I love the baked Brie! Cheesy and creamy without being cloying, sweet yet slightly tangy. I wish I could have asked for another serving. I would love to make this at home.

White Chocolate Pot de Creme
Banana and White Chocolate Croquette


This was good but not spectacular. I'm sorry, but for a restaurant with Lolo Dad's reputation, I expected everything to be spectacular.

Lolo Dad's Degustacion Menu is Php2,800+ 10% service charge per person

Lolo Dad’s Cafe
899 Pres. Qurino Ave. cor. Leon Guinto St., Malate Manila

Phone Number : (63 2) 522-2941, 524-2295, 526-7151
Cellphone Number : +639228125971

Operating Hours :

Monday : Open from 6:30pm to 10:30pm
Tuesday to Saturday : Open from 11:00am to 2:00pm for lunch
and 6:30pm to 10:30pm for dinner

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for your post. We are the producers of MOLUGA. You can follow us in FACEBOOK
    http://www.facebook.com/PescaviarInternational
    If you become a fan we will be happy to publish a link to your blog

    ReplyDelete