Sunday, August 15, 2010

Beef Stew adapted from Wolfgang Puck's Recipe



This is my second time making this beef stew. This is really, really good, and now my go to recipe for Beef Stew. The recipe I used can be found here. I followed the recipe but made a few changes - I used beef brisket cubes since this was more easily available, and instead of dried apricots, I used dried mangoes. The first time I made this, I followed the recipe by putting the dutch oven inside a 350° F oven for 2 1/2 hours. The second time, I just transferred the partially cooked stew to a slow cooker and cooked on low for 8 hours. When the meat is tender, I picked out the meat and carrots and transferred them to a bowl, and strained the remaining vegetables and sauce, smooshing them onto the strainer to get a puree. I reduced the puree and seasoned with some more salt and pepper, and poured the sauce over the meat.


This stew is best eaten after a few days in the fridge. It is a really good, complex-flavored, full-bodied stew. Make a big batch, and divide into several meals/portions over the next few days :)

The original recipe is Wolfgang Puck's Wine-Braised Brisket of Beef with Caramelized Pearl Onions and Dried Apricots.

No comments:

Post a Comment