Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chocolate Fire and Dinner at Brasserie Boheme

Last week, I found myself staying at the office late. Where to go for dinner at such a late hour? It was past 9pm. Luckily, I was with DB, and we were both game to try a new restaurant. Looking around, we saw that Chocolate Fire had already opened around the corner. I have been intrigued about that place ever since they started renovating the place but it took them a while to open! I had been wondering what it was going to be - a bar? A chocolate restaurant? What is "chocolate fire"? So DB and I went in and looked around.


The place looked trendy, but, oh, inside, it was filled with chocolates! Different kinds of chocolate morsels, chocolate desserts, and they all looked artisanal. They had strawberries dipped in chocolate going for P95 (ouch, I know), glacĂ©ed fruits dipped in chocolate, and their own combinations of fruit and nut type bars. They all looked so yummy. I'm getting a serious chocolate craving just writing this down.

Unfortunately, they didn't have anything for dinner except for a light salad and a sandwich. So DB and I left to look for another place to have dinner, but intending to return to try out some dessert from Chocolate Fire some other time.

Well, there IS this place I've seen for a while now on my way to work and which I've been meaning to try since the first time I saw it. So we walked over to Brasserie Boheme. Since it was our first time there, we decided to stick with the set menu. The set menu was priced at P480+, and included a soup or salad, an entree, and dessert. One thing that was not up to par was that we were given paper napkins instead of cloth napkins. Now that might not be important to most people, but for such a restaurant, I expected cloth napkins. I asked the waitress if they had some cloth napkins and she told me that they had run out. I felt a little bit cheated at being given paper napkins while other diners used cloth napkins, but, oh well. I am currently campaigning to use cloth napkins at home (or any kind of napkin, actually), so this was a letdown.

I wasn't able to take any notes or pictures of the food. From memory, the boyfriend ordered Cream of Wild Mushrooms, and I got the House Salad, wtih mangoes and smoked salmon. Both were delicious as expected.  For our mains, boyfriend ordered salmon, I forgot how it was cooked, but it was cooked perfectly. The salmon was perfectly seasoned and just perfect! Not overcooked, but perfect! Very few restaurants get fish right. This one did.

My lengua entree was good, too, but I did wish I had ordered the salmon instead! The lengua dish came with rice but I hardly ate the rice - the lengua was enough and somehow it didn't really go with rice. The seasoning was just right for the lengua to be eaten on its own, not enough to be eaten with rice. No complaints, though, because it was delicious. Though I still wish I had ordered the salmon.

Dessert was Creme Brulee each for the two of us. My only complaint was that it was too small. It was so creamy and rich you will really wish there was more of it. We particularly liked the wafer thin caramel on top. How did they get it so thin? It just cracked like fine crystal.

Someday we might go back and try it again, hopefully, they'd have real napkins by then. It wasn't as expensive as you'd expect, either. Set menus for 2 and drinks for 2, plus all included charges, totaled to less than P1,200.

Chocolate Fire is at the corner of LP Leviste and Rufino streets in Makati City.
Brasserie Boheme is along LP Leviste Street at Picasso Boutique Serviced Residences, very near the Salcedo  Saturday Market grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment